The Will of Maurice Berkeley of Apethorpe
Will dated 26 Mar. 1695
In the Name of God Amen I Maurice Berkely of Apethorpe in the County of Northampton Gen being of sound and perfect health and memory praise be given to Almighty God for the same God make and ordaine this my last Will and Testament in manner and forme following (that is to say) ffirst and principally I commend my Soule into the hands of Allmighty God having through the merits death and pafsion of my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ to have full and free pardon and forgivenefs of all my sins And my body I committ to the Earth to be decently buried at the discretion of my Executrix hereafter named And as touching the temporall Estate which the Lord in mercy hath lent me I dispose thereof as followeth -
- ffirst I will that my debts and funerall charges be paid and discharged.
- Item I give unto my daughter Dorothy Berkeley the summe of one Shilling to be paid her by my Executrix.
- Item I give unto my daughter Susannah Berkely the summe of one shilling.
- Item I give unto my Son Maurice Berkely the summe of one shilling.
- Item I give unto my Son Rowland Berkely the summe of one shilling.
- Item I give unto my Daughter Elizabeth Berkely the summe of one shilling.
- Item I give unto my Son Miles Berkely the summe of one shilling.
- Item I give unto my Son Thomas Thorowgood Berkely the summe of one shilling.
- Item I give unto my son John Berkeley the summe of one shilling.
- Item I give unto my son William Berkeley the summe of one shilling.
All which said legacies are to be paid to my said severall children within six months after my decease.
Item and lastly all the Rest of my goods chattells and personall Estate of what nature kind and property whatsoever I the said Maurice Berkeley doe by those presents give and bequeath unto my loving wife Susannah Berkely whom I nominate and appoint sole Executrix of this my last will and Testament And I doe hereby revoke all former Wills by me heretofore made and doe declare this to be my last Will and Testament In witnefs whereof I the said Maurice Berkeley to this my Will and Testament have sett my hand and seale this nine and twentieth day of March in the seaventh yeare of the Reigne of our Soveraigne William by the grace of God of England & king defender of the ffaith
- (mark) Anno Dui one thousand six hundred ninety five.
- (mark) Maurice Berkeley.
Sealed signed published declared and delivered in the presence of us
- Joseph Yorke.
- Elizabeth Philips her marke.
- Matt. Goxham.